The week started off with a zodiac boat trip to Isfjord radio at Kapp Linné. I'm sure all of you know by now that Oskar and I love it there! So I was thrilled to join the course field work and stay at this hotel. The weather was not very nice on the trip out, it was raining a little and very windy, there was so much fog on the water that we couldn't see the mountains on the other side of the fjord, but it was a nice trip nonetheless. Once arrived at Isfjord radio we settled in and had lunch (of course the food was delicious) and then we went out for a small hike to a close by river and tried out the field instruments we had brought. We had a nice relaxing evening and headed to bed early.
The next day we left after breakfast and started our hike towards Linnévannet (the lake nearby).
We arrived back at Isfjord radio at 10:30pm after a 38km and 15.5 hour hike. Dinner was very good, and so was the beer!
There were many river crossings, thank goodness for waterproof hiking boots!
The next day we didn't have any field work to do but we took a 15km hike down the coast to see some walrus that had been spotted there for a couple weeks. We were able to get quite close to the two walrus that were on the beach and it was really nice to see a few more playing in the water. Then it was back to Isfjord radio for lectures and calculations.
Whale bones.
Old man walrus with one tooth.
The last day we were picked up by zodiac boats and because the wind had really picked up by the time we took off the waves were pretty high and it was a bumpy ride back. Though I would never complain because I can't, I get paid to do this.
Hope you enjoy the photos.
Thanks for reading :)










15.5 hours thats not a hike that's an ironman!!
ReplyDeleteLooks awesome!
As always these photos are beyond all superlatives! They instill an feeling of awe. Darn I missed the 38km! lol! Not even 1% will ever experience your intimate walrus encounter, quite a claim.
ReplyDeleteox