A couple of weeks ago we went on a trip to the west coast with our friend Henning. It was a last minute kind of decision, but we wanted to do something on the little Easter holiday that we had. The reason we had decided to go there was because we called late the night before to see if they were able to make a vegan meal, when they said we made a reservation for three! So we went on a snowmobile trip to Isfjord radio. It took us just under three hours to drive the nearly 200km there, with some nice stops along the way. It was beautiful weather; with the sun shining and blue skies, it felt like a proper Easter!
We arrived earlier than expected out at Isfjord radio, so we had some coffee and took a tour of the place then sat down and enjoyed a rest in their sunny windows. It is such a beautiful place, not just the views and the smell of the ocean, but the guest rooms and the lounging area as well. It was quite a surprise for me. Lunch was delicious, and by far the best vegan meal I've had in a restaurant on Svalbard! I nearly cried I was so happy. So we've decided that for a good meal out we just have to drive nearly 3hrs by snow scooter, ha!
On the drive back we took another route for part of the trip and made a few stops just to have some fun. We stopped to look out at Barentsburg. I have yet to go there but the view from across the fjord was very nice. Then we stopped by the Grønfjord glacier and found this great melt channel. Every couple meters we walked forward we were surprised by how huge the melt channel was and how awesome the formations were. It was a really cool find!
It was a very exciting trip and I was happy to see the west coast and more of Svalbard.
This is on the way to the west coast, with a few of Barentsburg and the dark cloud forming above it.
Me in the sunny window on the lounging room!
Oskar pretending to surf on his shovel.
This is a link to one of the tourism companies websites up here that runs Isfjord Radio, I just wanted to add this so that you could see some photos of the inside. Very pretty.
http://www.basecampspitsbergen.com/Our-hotels/Basecamp-Isfjord-Radio
These are amazing! Do I say that everytime? I love the one of Oskar "surfing".....and I hardly recognize your short hair!!
ReplyDeleteWow these views are always breathing-taking...especially with Polar bears in the photos! Hey Glacial Ice surfing looks awesome and may be destined to be an Olympic sport. Great photos thanks for sharing them!
ReplyDeleteOskar are you practicing your surfing for when you come and visit me in Samoa!!!! Totally awesome dude!!
ReplyDelete